Wednesday, October 29, 2008

So Daylight Savings Time is Useful?

Studies show that daylight savings time actually does something. I thought it was just there to make me thoroughly annoyed when I end up waking up an hour late or early two Sundays of the year. Research conducted in Sweden showed that "the number of heart attacks dipped on the Monday after clocks were set back an hour, possibly because people got an extra hour of sleep" but also has the reverse effect in the spring. "But moving clocks forward in the spring appeared to have the opposite effect. There were more heart attacks during the week after the start of daylight saving time, particularly on the first three days of the week." So moving your clocks doesn't just annoy you, I can save or end your life. That makes me very happy for the fall daylight savings time, but extremely concerned for next spring. Sleep aparrently effects the cardio vascular system. Sleep effects blood pressure, inflammation, blood clotting, blood sugar, cholesterol and blood vessels. So, those few extra hours of sleep can really make or break your week. So what I'm saying people is, this doesn't just have to apply to daylight savings time. Students need to stop stressing and go to bed at reasonable times. When you go to bed at three and wake up at seven you wreck havoc on your poor body's health. So move away from the essay and go to sleep, or that essay might very weel be the death of you yet.

1 comment:

Mary Nymark said...

Interesting article, I read something like this in the newspaper, perhaps the same thing. But yes, I do agree with you on the lack of sleep we teens are getting this day and age. I've noticed that when I hit teen years I've gotten a lot less sleep at night and feel very tired throughout the day. My short-term cures? naps and caffeine. That's society today, really.